Commissioned for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929 and entrusted to architect Aníbal González, the Plaza de España was the most costly of the projects for the Exposition. Construction of the structure commenced in 1914 and, with the number of workers reaching 1,000 at the height of the project, was completed in 1928.
The monumental ensemble is situated alongside the María Luisa Park and is one of the most spectacular works produced by the regionalist architect. It was declared a Bien de interés cultural by the Spanish Government in a Resolution from 3 November 1981.
Built in semicircular form with a diameter of 200 meters and opening out toward the Guadalquivir River, the starting point of many journeys from Spain to the New World, the main structure of the Plaza de España represents the union between Spain and its former colonies. Curved galleries connect the central building to two towers at the northern and southern ends of the structure. The structure is built in exposed brick and decorated with impressive traditional ceramic tiles.
The Meeting venue in the Plaza de España, the Auditorium (Salón de actos) of the Captaincy General (Capitanía General), is located near the main building entrance and still maintains its original form and style.